Seeing Science And Engineering Practices
The Science and Engineering Practices (SEPs) from the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) describe what it means to do science or engineering. The SEPs represent verbs and actions that increase in sophistication as students progress through the grades. The SEPs are intended to replace the “Scientific Method” as a more flexible and realistic representation of the work of scientists and engineers.
There are eight SEPs. They are:
- Asking Questions and Defining Problems
- Developing and Using Models
- Planning and Carrying Out Investigations
- Analyzing and Interpreting Data
- Using Mathematics and Computational Thinking
- Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions
- Engaging in Argument from Evidence
- Obtaining, Evaluating, and Communicating Information
For a short summary of each SEP, visit: https://ngss.nsta.org/PracticesFull.aspx.